Friday, November 7, 2014

Sketch Reveal at SOUS!

Welcome to my Blog today
 dear scrappy friends.
 
This post has been scheduled,
 as I am winging my way back
 from a fabulous week
 in Los Angeles.
 
The great sketch from our Leah,
revealed today at
was just made for these
 papers and my photo's.
 
This coming Sunday is
Remembrance Sunday,
and Tuesday 11th November
 is Armistice Day.
 
On Tuesday, the last poppy
 will be added to the stunning
 "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red"
Tribute at the
 Tower of London.
Which marks the
 100th Anniversary
of the outbreak of
World War One.
 
On Tuesday there will be
 888, 246 poppies
in the moat around the Tower!
 
Representing the
 British and Commonwealth
 lives lost in the war.
 
One of these ceramic poppies marks
 the life of my
 Great Grandfather,
Charles A Tedford.
 
He died on 26th April, 1915,
 at Ypres in Belgium.
He has no known grave,
but is honoured on the
 Menin Gate in Belgium.
 
On 16th October,
my Great Grandfather 
was honoured at the
 Tower of London,
on that evening's
Roll of Honour.
 
I was there.
 
I made a 24 hour trip to
 London to witness one of the
 most moving tributes
 I have ever seen.
 
The poppies are a spectacular,
 humbling sight.
 I am so glad I was able to see it.
 
The tribute will be dismantled
 after Armistice Day, and
the poppies have all been sold,
 with proceeds going to
 appropriate charities.
 
I have bought one of the
 poppies, to honour my
 Great Grandfather.
 
To own a piece of this
 fabulous tribute will be
 an honour for me!
 

 



I have rotated the sketch
 clockwise, to accommodate
 the stunning poppies
 already on the paper.




The papers are from
 Kaiser
 "Remember Me"
 Collection.




With Collectables from the
 same collection.




And, a wee bit of black lace
 from my stash.



The papers and photo's are
all that are needed here.



Here are a couple more photo's
 from my 24 hr trip!









In honour of Charles A Tedford
1886 - 1915
 
Now, head on over to
 and see what my
 SOUS Sisters
have done with the sketch!
 
Then, we want to see
your interpretations.
 
So, please join in at SOUS!
 
See you there...
 
Hugs


 

3 comments:

Lizzyc said...

What a moving blog post Jane, I have seen all those poppies on the news. And your layout is beautiful, you have the perfect papers for your photos. Really lovely layout Jane..

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Oh Jane! Your layout is beautiful (very moving) and the photo of the memorial made me tear up! It looks like spilled blood. (Yes, I am the queen of obvious).

I am thankful that you were able to be a part of this and now have this wonderful memory preserved for future generations.
Hugs!!

Sharli Schaitberger said...

Did you see the placing of the last poppy in the news? Their photo was amazing - but yours are far more striking and telling of the story visually! By the time they put them all out it was a full pool of poppies. I am so glad you have one - that will be a wonderful remembrance for you each year! We have poppies in our garden and they bloom in June. One brave one re-bloomed in October this year! It was amazing!
Hugs!